Armadillo Merino® designs and manufactures next-to-skin clothing that greatly enhances the safety, performance and comfort of professionals operating in extreme environments. Firefighters experience many stresses, strains and challenges when performing firefighting duties in personal protective equipment.
- PPE is an essential component of modern day firefighting equipment designed to save lives and reduce injuries. Extensive research has been conducted looking at the outer protective layers but little research has been undertaken to determine the effectiveness of next-to-skin clothing as part of a layered system.“An emergency responder’s next-to-skin, base layer clothing must optimize the necessary thermal protection during lives fires but also enhance thermoregulation during recovery and non-fire related calls to reduce cumulative physiological strain, while maintaining perceptual clothing comfort.”Research – Next Generation Base Layers for FirefightersIn 2013 Guelph Humber University in Canada researched four different base layers during live-fire evolutions to identify the next generation of baselayer systems for firefighters. Four different garments systems were tested and compared with live physiological monitoring and perceptual/sensorial measurement.The research finding ranked Armadillo Merino® as the number one choice of next-to-skin clothing with 67% selecting Armadillo Merino® as their first choice and 100% as their first or second choice.
WHY ARMADILLO MERINO®?
Armadillo Merino® design and manufacture the most advanced next-to-skin clothing system in the world. Armadillo Merino® garments enhance the performance, health, safety and comfort of wearers.
Our fabrics don’t melt or drip and provide natural flame resistance up to 600C. No static generation, high UVA & UVB protection and highly effective thermo-regulation in both hot and cold conditions. Sweat is actively managed in both the vapor and liquid state keeping users comfortable while preventing odour production and helping to maintain a more stable core body temperature.
- For centuries wool had been the fibre of choice for clothing worn by soldiers, police, firemen and search & rescue teams because of wools natural protective properties and its versatility over a wide range of extreme environments but over recent years these benefits have been forgotten, that is until now.Armadillo Merino® has taken an innovative approach in resolving the issues of synthetic baselayer garments melting and dripping into the skin from extreme heat with an associated increase in the incidence of skin infections. Textile and knitting technology have been combined with superfine merino wool (using wool’s natural FR properties) to create a new generation of performance baselayers for soldiers and first responders that help protect the skin from heat and flames while reducing the incidence of skin infections in addition to wools historically acknowledged insulative properties.The Elite range of specialist lightweight garments are to be worn next to skin in extreme environments. To maximise comfort against the skin the internal care labels have been removed and the garments have been constructed so there are no seams under the armpit or on the shoulders reducing the risks of skin abrasion. Armadillo Merino® provides a lightweight clothing solution for soldiers, police, fire and search & rescue teams providing them with enhanced levels of protection, performance and comfort.
BUT WHY MERINO WOOL?
Merino wool is nature’s performance fibre. Merino is a superfine breed of wool that is used in all the Armadillo Merino® garments because of its inherent strength and next to skin softness.
Did you know Armadillo Merino® garments protect wearers because the garments –
- Have natural flame retardancy up to 600 Centigrade
- Don’t melt, shrink or stick to skin when exposed to high temperatures
- Don’t produce toxic odours when burning
- Have one of the highest natural UVP factors giving protection from the sun
- Provides a high resistance to acids
- Offer greater resistance to chemical residues and aerosols than synthetics
- Thermoregulates the skin, reducing overheating or chilling
- Moisture manages the skin – reducing the rate of moisture lost in exercise
- Is naturally antibacterial – won’t infect wounds
- Doesn’t generate offensive odours even after prolonged use
- Are soft yet incredibly strong and durable
- Sustainable – the merino fibre is annually renewable and is biodegradable
- Easy Care – being machine washable and quick drying
ARMADILLO MERINO® – THE BRAND
The Armadillo Merino® specialises in the development of performance-based apparel utilising the properties of merino wool fibre for specialist market niches.
The merino fibre is sourced under the ZQ accreditation program that provides traceability and transparency of the fibre back to merino sheep stations in the Southern Alps of New Zealand.